Linking your Aadhaar to your mutual fund investments is now mandatory and needs to be done by 31st March 2018. This is expected to help the government interpret the legality of any transactions and investments, and ensure that the necessary records are maintained for all of them. If the Aadhaar is not linked, you will not be able to sell your existing investments or purchase new units after the deadline.
If you are a new mutual fund investor and have not gone through the KYC (Know Your Customer) process, this may be simpler as the information can be taken during your KYC documentation.
If you are an existing investor, with investments in several folios across schemes and fund houses, you have a few alternatives on how to go about it.
Method 1: Online on RTA website
Before you start this process, ensure your email ID and mobile number is registered with the mutual funds and Aadhaar.
Visit the website of the registrar that services your mutual funds and follow the steps:
NOTE: You need to repeat the linking process multiple times if your mutual funds have appointed different registrars. To check which mutual funds are serviced by with registrars; please refer to the table below.
|CAMS||Karvy||Franklin Templeton||Sundaram BNP Paribas|
Aditya Birla Sunlife
|Franklin Templeton|| Sundaram|
- Method 2: Through SMS (This option is only available with Karvy)
- Type (ADRLNK
) For example: ADRLNK AABBC6789D 123456789098 Y
- Send to +91 9212993399 from your registered mobile number.
- On completing the procedure, you will receive a confirmation message.
NOTE: “Y” in the above message stands for your express consent to authenticate and link Aadhaar.
Method 3: Offline process
- Visit your RTAs website.
- Download the Registration form provided there.
- Fill the form, and make sure you add the folio number and attach a self-attached Aadhaar card.
- Submit the form to the nearest registrar’s office or mutual fund office.
Points to note:
- For a mutual fund that has more than one account holders, Aadhaar number of all the holders should be linked to the folio.
- If your MF units are in a demat account, you link a mutual fund that is in demat form by approaching the depository participant and need not visit the registrars or fund houses.
- For NRIs, Aadhaar linking is not mandatory.
- For non-individuals and HUFs, online Aadhaar linking is not possible through CAMS. However, it can be completed online through Karvy’s website.